Monday, July 30, 2007

Negative experiences

There has been a lot written this week about the New York Times piece by a person who went to a prestigious Modern Orthodox school and has now intermarried. I haven’t read the original article, but apparently he is angry that his school and others have criticized him, and goes on to complain about numerous other items he has a problem with, all in the public forum of the New York Times.

I do not want to add anything to the discussion of his letter. However, I’d like to share a portion of the following anonymous comment posted on Aish.com. I almost feel like this needs no further comment and yet I have much to say on this topic so will add my own thoughts tomorrow.
I've Been There
I write this as a mitzvah observant Jew who was married
previously -twice- to non Jewish husbands....
There are a lot of people out there who do not find a place for
themselves in the Jewish world and do not feel a sense of
belonging. Whether it is an unhappy social experience in day
school or Hebrew school, or a feeling of rejection by other
Jews in one's life, or whether it is a failure to meet a Jewish
person of the opposite sex with whom one can really share his
heart, soul, and life, there are many people out here who
would like to be connected to the Jewish world
but have had more unhappy than happy experiences
in it….I personally felt like a reject in the Jewish world for
many years, something that gave me great emotional pain….
Since the time of my own teshuva, I have continued to struggle
with relationships with fellow Jews in the shuls, Jewish schools
and even with visits to Israel….
If I could make one suggestion, it is that when our children in
Jewish schools or camps act meanly to any of the other
children, we pay attention and stamp out the cruelty
immediately. No child should have to leave a Jewish school
because he or she can't make friends there. We have such a
better chance of raising committed Jews if our children grow up
with happy memories of associating with the other Jewish kids
at school and camp.

1 comment:

Orthonomics said...

It is amazing just how young the cruelty starts. Two years old? What in the world.

I don't remember cruelty until 1st grade, and it was subtle. What I am seeing (on occassion) is straight out meanness.