Wednesday, July 25, 2007

How People Lived in the Past

My reason for choosing this topic today is a discussion on Dov Bear about Tisha B'Av. Specifically, my husband mentioned in the comments that he did not go to shul (which was for a specific reason) and someone chose to harshly criticize him. Without getting into this issue, it reminded me of my father telling me that people always worked on Tisha B'Av. There were too many holidays in the year (in the days before paid vacation and where loss of a day's income meant you didn't eat), and you went to work as normal on Tisha B'Av.

My father's parents were born in the "old country" and his experiences growing up were directly with the immigrant generation of his aunts, uncles, and grandparents. Most people my age have parents who are one generation removed from this, so I am fortunate to be able to ask him things that he has personal experience with regarding our family' history.

I recently came to the realization, confirmed by asking my dad, that he was raised Orthodox. I don't know why I never thought about it from that perspective before. My father grew up in a kosher home, family observed the holidays, and he attended cheder as a child.

However, he has told me about the reality for his family that I believe is representative of what a majority of people experienced. First, his father was (to his great sadness) unable to not work on Saturday. This is during the Depression - I know there are stories of people who were able to quit their job every Friday and find another on Sunday, but it is only because the majority of their Jewish brothers weren't doing so. If everyone had done this, not only would there not have been jobs available, but people would have stopped hiring Jews at all. I emphasize that it was not that my grandfather was trying to get out of observing - quite the opposite. There was just a reality at that time that is so beyond any of our understanding. (I can say this even more now after going through extreme financial difficulties - thank G-d we can't even begin to understand the financial difficulties of the Depression.)

In addition, children needed to work. If you are a parent, can you even imagine such a thing? By my father's time this was already less of a reality for many people, but for my grandfather in an immigrant family, that was life. My grandfather was one of the younger of 11 children. His older sisters, as teenagers, never went to high school but were sent to work. His older brother was sent through cheder and yeshiva - and it is this great-uncle's descendents who remained religious. (Some are involved on a high level with Torah.org, and another was honored at YU as a third-generation graduate.)

However, when it came to my grandfather and the other younger brother, the family needed them to work also. So he was not able to continue his formal education (neither secular nor religious - he did not even go to high school.)

Whenever I hear broad generalizations about people from the immigrant generation and beyond who became less observant or completely uninvolved, I feel that people don't have the awareness of what the reality was. One of the difficulties is that most people of that generation, due to their hard life both in Europe and America, did not ever talk about it. Even basic info like their grandparents names, let alone discussing what life was like. They wanted to forget. It is only now when people like myself are interested in genealogy and Jewish traditional life, that we are sad that we could not hear the stories these hard-working, G-d-fearing people would have been able to tell us.

4 comments:

Orthonomics said...

Criticized on Tisha B'Av no less?

Great post. We are a spoiled generation. I (now) consider myself fortunate enough to have grown up in an area where kids were expected to be on their own around 18 or 19 years old. I think it grounded me a bit.

It is a luxury not to work on Tisha B'Av! My husband is fortunate enough to have the flexibility to stay home that day and help. I never had such in my old job and would just stand until mid-day since my chair would not lower.

Miss you. I'll call soon.

Selena said...

I agree with your whole post. We are a bit spoiled. I am lucky to have flexibility in my job and work a half day (I went in around 2), but certainly we are not all so lucky even today. How much more so in the "old days."

Am Kshe Oref - A Stiff-Necked People said...

SL, you should have seen the criticism! On the other hand, it was by Ed, so no one actually pays attention...:)

Hi, Wife!

You know my great-grandfather worked for the post office during those years, right? And my paternal grandfather went to cheder and because of the cheder, learned to hate Judaism in all its forms with all his heart, to the point where he had himself cremated and made sure his own son couldn't even sit Shiv'a for him...

cool yiddishe mama said...

WOW! Criticizing your fellow Jew for not going to shul on Tisha B'Av, if that is not the epitome of sinat chinam, then I don't know what is.

There's another spin on how people really lived in the past, that has been bothering me...

Esther, you and I have spoken at great length about all the mesorot lost b/c of the Shoah, people assimilating, etc. We have a friend
whose husband was a child of survivors and his father had been a talmid chacham in Prague before the war. He told me that frum life as it exists now (and gave some very specific examples) did not happen. I have had it pointed out to me the various customs that have their origins in chassidishe circles that have firmly taken root now in the charedi world, as if it always was the way (when forty years ago, this was not the case).

Something that your husband had also said about charedim to me (and on his blog) confirmed my suspicions. It seems to me that many charedim today are so unclear on what to do that they are looking to others to find the most "machmir" thing to do and then dress it up as THE HALAKHAH.

Perhaps I will continue this on my blog...