Thursday, May 11, 2006

Temp frustrations

So I was going to post more about the Jewish aspect at work but I am currently very frustrated about the way the temps are being treated. The manager, who is supposed to be my boss, is a sweet and intelligent person who I would love to work closely with - but she is rarely around. Instead, we have a "supervisor" who is the stereotypical mean boss. She is always screaming about something, talks in a harsh manner even in her normal speech, and picks on every little thing. Yesterday she came into the room that i share with another temp, and proceeded to list five things that we were doing wrong. None of these were related to our actual work - I don't think she even knows what we are doing for the boss. She just wants us to LOOK busy. Ironically, within an hour of her tirade, I was in a meeting with the boss being asked my opinion on how to proceed with some changes she is planning, and was assigned a special project for her. So there is no issue with my work habits, but I dread next week when my boss will be out and the supervisor will completely be in charge of us.

I will definitely get back to the Jewish-at-work topic soon. In the meantime, I have started listing some of the J-Blogs that I read and generally agree with. (There are a few not listed that I read regularly because I disagree and enjoy the comments and discussions.) The tuition discussion, because it is close to home, has been particularly interesting. Living Out of Town has a lot of great suggestions, and SephardiLady (Orthonomics) of course has both interesting ideas and detaied links to everyone else talking about the topic.

I want to welcome my friend Cool Yiddishe Mama to the J-Blog world!

4 comments:

Orthonomics said...

Goodluck with mean sup lady. You need a nickname for her so that you can have a little fun given the situation.

Thanks for the plug and a big welcome to the Cool Mama. I loved her parenting post!

Anonymous said...

Ditto. Make the most of it because this seems to be the reality for the indefinite future ;-)

Pragmatician said...

While it's awful to be yelled at, you said yourself that 'supervisor' doesn't really know what you're supposed to do.
Try to make her believe you respect her, that you really believe she is in charge, and maybe she'll go easier on you after that.

have popcorn will lurk said...

Is it too early to start a CYA file? You might want to start a supervisor blog, LOL. Or maybe just a file on your computer at home where you type up each day's rants so you have ammo when stuff comes raining down later.

I know, it's just a temp job. But I was harrassed for the moment I announced my first pregnancy at work until the moment my doctor put me on maternity leave (a week early because the stress was finally raising my BP). And then I wished I'd kept track of every little thing. I don't miss working in the secular world. :(