Sunday, May 07, 2006

Jewish at work...a new perspective

When I started this blog, I was pretty sure it was not going to become just a Jewish Blog. I read a lot of these and find that most of what I believe has been said very well by others, or can be added as a comment to other blogs.

But when I started my long-term temp job two weeks ago, I inadvertently started an experiment of sorts that I would like to share on this blog. In previous jobs, my religious issues had to come up before I was even hired, as I needed to ask for early Fridays off. And of course, with the emphasis of food in the workplace, I usually was discussing my dietary restrictions with everyone.

So it was a different experience looking for a job in Ohio in the spring, when Shabbos doesn't start until after 8:00 and when, after Shavuos, I won't even need any holidays off this year except Yom Kippur. So I was actually able to interview and accept temporary positions without ever having to talk about religion. (Obviously if I was offered a permanent position I would bring up the distant issue of Fridays, but as you all know from earlier posts, no such offer has happened yet...)

So I will post a bit this week about my new experience of not being indentifiably Orthodox at work. It has been strange, and certainly something I could change anytime by being more open -- but I am enjoying having some aspect of my life private, especially as many of my coworkers are openly Christian and I am not really looking to get into religious conversations with them. And I will probably also blog about "the issues" a bit more soon.

4 comments:

Orthonomics said...

Glad to hear you found a temp job. Congrads and may it lead to bigger things.

I also think it is great that you do not need to bring up Yom Tov and Shabbat at this stage. I think it is easier to accept these small things once you have a proven track record. Goodluck.

Neil Harris said...

It's not easy starting a new job. I just left a position with my former community (Indianapolis) that I held for almost 8 years, to move to Chicago and take a position within the "private sector". There are tremedous Kiddush Hashem opportunies for one at any workplace: giving a fax to someone, making a fresh pot of coffee (depending on Kashrus issues), and just being pleasant to others.
Hatzlacha with the job and keep posting when you find time.

Pragmatician said...

Very smart of you I think, why divulge information that might be used against you if there is no immediate need for it.
As for food just say you allergic, not allowed medically, very careful, vegetarian etc...

Unknown said...

At my workplace, I aspire to make a Kiddush Hashem. I just hope to influence the many with whom I interact, to maybe, just maybe, give another frum Jew a chance. Ms. SC