Thursday, August 14, 2008

My Job - Part One

As you may know, I started this blog while I was job-hunting in 2006-07. I started my current position in April of 2007. At the time, the positives of the job were:

1. Amazing and professional-acting boss.

2. Welcoming attitude (from my boss) about the weird schedule I would need for holidays and leaving early Fridays.

3. The possibility (stated by my boss) that she’d have me develop in the position over time.

4. The fact that someone was offering me a job with health insurance after I had been led on by my previous temp job for a year.

The negatives were:

1. The location – The quickest I can commute is about 35 minutes, and some days it has taken me an hour. The neighborhood is a bad one, we can’t take a walk at lunch, and the building itself is pretty gross.

2. At the time I was hired, my boss’s boss did not agree with her about developing my position. He forced her to take back the salary she had mentioned at the interview and offer $3K less. (One of the first things I knew about how amazing my boss was – she was honest with me about this when she made the job offer, and found an opportunity for me to make commissions on a small project to try to get back some of this amount.)

3. The job itself is primarily office assistant, AKA lowest person on the totem pole. Anything that no one else wants to do ends up being my responsibility. There had also been some people laid off very quickly in the past who did not have the chance to leave any sort of record about how we deal with certain issues or who our vendors are, so a lot of the things I was asked involved the extra step of figuring that out.

No comments: