Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Ask Shifra: Jewish Debt

Ask Shifra has a great post about how many of us are struggling with debt and expenses. She has opened up her comments for people to share their own experiences and I think it will be a great forum for people to feel that others understand. I know one of the biggest frustrations (besides the actual debt of course) is seeing other people who seem to have no financial troubles. but this applies to anyone's problems - it always seems like no one else struggles as much as you do. I do always keep in mind several specific people I know who face terrible situations, but it is still difficult.

Speaking of financial difficulties, I am dealing with an unfortunate turn of events on the job front. I had been rpogressing on my temp job, doing very advanced work and even enjoying some of it. After many times of asking the boss for a status, she finally told me that they were only hiring for nights and weekends. Since I can't do it because of Shabbos, I can't take the position. (She did not say it like that, of course - she just showed me a chart of what the open hours were and I told her that I would not be available those hours.) So that's the end of any hope for being hired in this position. She was really nice about it - she said to keep checking the job board at the company, tell the agency that I had her permission to take a different assignment, and let her know whenever I needed time off for interviews. But I was really tired - and I mean literally tired - of the job search and was hoping that I could finally just have a real position with a decent salary and benefits. instead, I am still on temp pay (not enough to even come close to covering our monthly expenses), and we are all uninsured.

This topic was the original subject of my blog and I will try to keep posting again. I also have a ton of articles that I saved to write about, so I want to start pushing those out even if I don't add my own comments.

One more thing - for those of you reading this blog who have helped us, I want to tell you how much it means to us. (I mean both those of you who have helped us financially and those who have provided their kindness and support in listening to us.) And I really appreciate anyone who is reading this blog because, well, it just feels neat to have readers! And to the specific person who has contacted me by e-mail - I am thinking of you and wishing you the best, and hope maybe we could even meet in person this year.

I hope to get back to blogging again this week but in case I don't I want to wish everyone a Shana Tova, a wonderful year in which we will each acheive what we need.

7 comments:

Orthonomics said...

So sad to hear about the change with your job situation. But, it sounds like you made a very positive impression if they will be flexible regarding interview schedules. G-d willing the New Year will bring new mazal for your family.

OK-no need to write more now. I will be calling you anyways. Lots of love!

Pragmatician said...

so sorry about the job, it's really hard looking for jobs.

have popcorn will lurk said...

Hey! Shana Tova, all good things to you and your family in the coming year, including stability, bennies in your job situation, and new friends! :)

I am seeing links and comments to the Jewish Debt subject all over the place and it is getting depressing - our way of dealing with it is mostly, NOT! We are in debt. We have 3 mortgages. Our cars are from 2000 and 1991. We apply for scholarship money every year. Ugh!

Fitter, Happier, More Productive said...

I'd hire you as my assistants assistant to the assistants assistant, if it were up to me.

As for your present work situation...No fair! You've worked hard for these people. You have also had open dialog regarding permanent positions. I feel as though they have willingly lead you to believe that something would happen and you'd be brought on full-time and in the end... nothing. You know how I feel about that. You know I've been through that. And you know that all ya gotta do is say the person's name and I'll kick `em in their good leg!

Okay, okay... no ill will, no bad feelings. But while your supervisor may have had every intention on giving you what you want and deserve at this job, she mistakenly lead you to believe that they'd do something that she didn't have the power to make happen.

In that, I feel a note to her to express your feelings are fair and appropriate. She, the supervisor, can learn from this and be sure to not do that again. Although, you might want to hold that note until you find another job.

have popcorn will lurk said...

Hey! How about an update! It's been a month! :)

I hope you're doing well and your yomim tovim were excellent!

have popcorn will lurk said...

How about an update? Thinking about you!!

I have a new URL - come and bookmark me! :)

Esther said...

Chana, I changed my link to your new blog.