Thursday, November 08, 2007

Defining the problem

My friend SephardiLady put my post as a guest post on Orthonomics, and there ahs been a lot of great discussion. I intend to write more about the specifics that I have in mind for cutting costs of Orthodox life, but something has been a block to posting. I finally figured out what has been bothering me about the original discussion on Orthonomics, and why I am having trouble writing the follow up.

As I discussed previously, the original article that started the discussion was focused on (correctly) advising people who are successful financially to not waste their money trying to "keep up with the Cohens" to the point that some people go into debt while insisting on living extravagent lives. My problem with the tone of the article, however, was that this advice does not apply to people who are not already at a high point financially.

Then SephardiLady and others responded with more practical money-saving suggestions applicable to the average person. In theory, someone who is "ok" financially, and looked for ways to live frugally, would be able to put some money aside every month so that emergencies didn't turn into crises, and so that families could live comfortably. My original response to this is, fine but why not make similar frugal decisions in religious areas - save money on Shabbos expenses, clothing, kosher food, etc. But something was still bothering me about even this approach:

The more disposable income we have, the more I will be required to hand over to two institutions: private school and shul dues. The top amount of tuition is so high that no one who isn't in the very top in income can afford to pay full tuition for several children and still have anything left over to live. On top of these two amounts, there is a third problem - you must live somewhere within walking distance of a shul, and those are always the most expensive areas of any town, even a very cheap town like Cleveland.

People who make $50,000 a year do not normally send their children to private school, and do not normally live in the most expensive area of town. And those people can clip coupons and shop at Walmart and end up living a financially secure life. How does a frum family who makes $50,000 a year, sends multiple children to private school, and lives in a more expensive area of their town get by? They go into debt. And if they manage to save $3000 of disposable income, the school cuts their financial aid by $3000. And they better not even think about buying a home to raise their children in, because their financial aid will be cut even more because they are a homeowner.

There is really no way around the fact that private school is the biggest issue here. And believe me, I love my son's school. But there may very likely come a time when we just can't do it, and we are one of many who are in that situation.

I am rewriting a lot of this post as I write because I don't want to sound as negative as I feel....Yesterday my husband and I found our dream home. It's not just a house, it felt like home the minute we walked in. The previous owner loved the home and put so much work into it, and the decor is exactly us. It was huge, and beautiful, and I want to raise my children there. But we can't afford to buy it. The person is willing to rent for one year, but then will put it back on the market this summer. We had to decide if we realistically will have the money to buy in eight months. If we don't, I can't bring myself to move into our home and then have it taken away. And, realistically, we won't have that money available because if we did make that much, we would need to pay higher tuition to the school, and if we bought a house in this neighborhood we for sure would be asked to pay a higher amount. I am very sad about this. (The only sunshine in the situation is that my son didn't like the layout of the rooms, where he would be on a different floor than we would, and he's thrilled that we're not taking it.)

6 comments:

Selena said...

I'm sorry. The house situation is very difficult and sad. I don't know how schools expect us to pay, and then keep paying. Every month, there is some other event that costs money.

But really, it would be so much worse in a big city, it isn't even funny.

Esther said...

Thank you for your kind thoughts. We miss you guys so much. I am still feeling sad but would feel so much worse if it was a year from now and I was being forced to move out of this beautiful home because someone else bought it.

The schools...I was just talking about tuition itself, but the minute we would no longer be "the poor family", they would for sure come after us for donations, events, banquet, etc.

I don't see how anyone is even functioning in the bigger cities. This house that we looked at is 3 bedrooms plus a full finished basement that has a fourth bedroom-like area, two full bathrooms, huge kitchen....$220K. And for us, that is high. I can't even fathom how we were all getting by with the prices in our old city.

Selena said...

I miss you a lot too. 220,000 actually is a lot. I assume that your rent is not even close to 1500, but that is what you would be paying in mortgage/taxes/insurance for a house at that price....crazy. Do you think they might come down in price?

When we were last back in our old city, I couldn't beleive the way people are being forced to live. It is crazy.

Anonymous said...

Are there any frum people in your community who end up having to send their children to public school?

mother in israel said...

Looking forward to your posts on frum expenses. They will help some people, anyway. Sorry about the house.

Orthonomics said...

I have to put up this post too. What a shame you can't take the house. I'm crying for you.