Thursday, June 07, 2007

Dream of Californication.....

Today I heard a commericial for a local car dealer featuring Governator jokes that had nothing to do with the ad. This made me think about how everyone is obsessed with California, and I thought it would be a good topic to "just jump in" to blogging again. I started by looking up some songs that immediately come to mind that deal with this issue, and of course the first one I thought of is Californication by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Now, I never understood all of the lyrics when listening to the song so I looked it up and was impressed with how they expressed this idealized idea that many people have about California (by which most people mean Hollywood, and by which most people really mean "the movie industry" because the actual city of Hollywood is really run-down now.) And many people within the L.A. culture end up trying to live up to the fantasy idea.

Here's all the lyrics. And here are some of the lyrics that I thought best illustrated the way that L.A. culture has become this ideal for people in other parts of the country and even the world. And how it't not based on reality. (And, of course, the term Californication - because this idealized lifestyle includes sex, partying with the stars, etc.)


Little girls from Sweden
Dream of silver screen quotations
And if you want these kind of dreams
It's Californication

It's the edge of the world
And all of western civilization
The sun may rise in the East
At least it settles in the final location
It's understood that Hollywood
sells Californication


Movies come out of L.A. so they present a certain culture as the norm, which someone watching a movie in Akron, Ohio thinks is based on reality.

And buy me a star on the boulevard

You can buy celebrity status, you don't have to actually have any talent. Need I specifically mention a certain person
who is famous for being famous and manages to get out of doing jail time because of that status. Everyone believes they can come to L.A. and be discovered. Never mind that almost no one is "discovered" - they were already related to a famous person or they were very wealthy and paid huge amounts to an agent to get them in something.

Space may be the final frontier
But it's made in a Hollywood basement


When you watch Star Wars, you know it's not real. The culture shown on TV and movies is just as fictional -- especially on "reality TV". The term reality just means that it is not professional actors but people think it reflects the culture. (This is a topic for another time...)

And earthquakes are to a girl's guitar
They're just another good vibration
And tidal waves couldn't save the world
From Californication


Never mind that there is absolutely no way you can adequately prepare for earthquakes and floods - and some of the most wealthy people purposely live on cliffs that cause their houses to fall down in mudslides every few years. It's L.A.! The weather! The movie stars! Wow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LA. Ick!! I'm from there and I'm glad as hell I got out. Of course, Esther, being my wife, would already know that, wouldn't you, dear?

Selena said...

Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Holy Moly! YOU quoted The RHCP's? Nice! And yes, your assessment of the lyrics are true to form. I know that music is bigger to me than to you. But I know that you do enjoy it to some extent. I was surprised to know that you knew and much less would remember to reference the Peppers. Nice!

More proof that not all lyrics have to be about Pimps and HO's in Rap songs nor f*&^ing in the back of the car in rock songs... song lyrics CAN actually do something and mean something and inspire thought and change.

Bono once sang "I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me... I rejoice". In fact, and I've told him as much... HE WAS WRONG! His lyrics, U2's music and their positive actions towards Africa, the poor, the sick and humans in general show that he indeed CAN change the world.

Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Peter Gabriel, Tori Amos... There are tons of artist that DO have something to say in thier music, and this is a good thing.

And yes, again... your assessment of "Californication", it's lyrics and meaning are dead on.