Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Misunderstandings

I just had an interesting experience and since it was in the blog world I thought I would share it on my blog. (Especially since I am overdue for a post.)

Let me start by saying that I have been trying to avoid blogging about "the issues" as there are plety of excellent blogs on these topics which I read regularly. I also tend not to comment on these blogs because most of what I would say, usually gets said by others and I don't feel I have anything to add. Today I decided to comment on a post regarding seperate seating at weddings. As some of you know, DH and I had an "interesting" experience in this department when we got married. Basically, I was informed that certain people had to have seperate seating, including the boys and rabbis from my husband's yeshiva and my husband's family. (My SIL actually said, "If I have to sit with my husband I won't come.") We actually did a great job of getting everyone seated in a way that made them comfortable, even though it involved asking some couples who did not request it to sit seperately in order to fill the tables.

Then I found out afterwards that some of the boys who I went to the trouble of seating in this way had spent the morning before the wedding hitting on my single friends. Now, I would love to have introduced them to each other and had them socialize - but they and their yeshiva don't agree that this is appropriate. Great, I respect their view. But there was no reason for the seating to be the main issue - if you beleive that men and women shouldn't socialize in that setting, then don't. The external things like seating aren't going to help you if you don't behave the way that you believe you should behave.

Now, that said, Rabbi Harry Maryles is one of the blogs that most often says exactly what I beleive on these issues. He has a following of both people who strongly agree and those who strongly disagree, and unfortunately his comments section often turns into a personal battle between the same five posters from these two camps. Rabbi Maryles is great and has even been corresponding with my husband off-blog, but some of these disagree-ers can be pretty harsh. He posted today about the seating issue. So I basically wrote what I just said above, but I wrote in a way that I hoped would keep me from being bashed by the disagree-ers. Apparently I did too good a job of watching what I said. One of the people with whom I pretty much agree compeletly bashed my comment. Apparently I came off as Charedi ("ultra" Orthodox)! The fact is I agreed with a lot of what he said in his comment that was criticizing my comment - I just didn't agree that it applied to me! (For those of you who know me, I think you will find it interesting to see what he perceived my entire hashkafa to be from my two paragraph comment.)

But of course the reason he responded so harshly is because that is the tone of so many of the commenters and I think it is unfortunate. Mixed in with the bashing (from both sides) are always some amazingly insightful comments. Sometimes they are from a perspective which I do not share, but I am able to better understand how this other side sees things and that maybe they also have rational reasons for their views. Or, as in this case, we may even be in agreement if we can calm down long enough to hear what the other person is saying.

5 comments:

Am Kshe Oref - A Stiff-Necked People said...

Yeah! Although, sometimes misunderstandings can be funny! I remember a time not too long after I got married. I called my from Yeshiva and asked her out on a date. She said yes. I came back in and told my chavrusa I had a date that night. Another pair of chavrusas (two of the smartest guys in attending that yeshiva) were sitting at the next table and one of them overheard me say I had a date. He looked at me funny and I said, "just because I'm married doesn't mean I can't go out on dates!" The look on his face told me everything. He thought I was going out on a date with another woman! As he nodded his head kind of slowly and with that same look on his face, I exclaimed to him, "WITH MY WIFE!!!"

I love you, Esther!

Am Kshe Oref - A Stiff-Necked People said...

Oh, by the way: ESTHER'S MY WIFE:)

Fitter, Happier, More Productive said...

As for the seating...

I do not completely understand the idea of going to a wedding and NOT sitting with the person that you are married.

There is a difference between during Shul and a wedding. Shul is davening, a service and serious. It is a time to concentrate on the task at hand. A wedding? That is a time of celebration.

So, in that my opinion might differ from some but that is okay. We CAN (should) be able to agree to disagree.

More important... the idea that anyone is 'bashing' someone for a differing opinion. There is nothing wrong with debate or disagreeing. But a holier than thou stance or bashing one for a different opinion is unfair and un-G-dly in my humble view.

TOLERANCE is a two way street. Start at your house and work outward. This is my feeling.

Esther said...

But do we need seperate seating on our date? =-)

F.H.M.P. - Thank you for your reply. The way you have stated your point is exactly my (and your) point. I can respect other people's views if they explain without bashing my views. Bonus points if they explain in an intelligent manner that actually helps me understand where they are coming from. I do not understand why it bothers SIL so much to sit with her husband, but if I can make her comfortable I am happy to do so. However, I was not happy with the request that everyone else should sit according to her standards. (Of course, we simply ignored the request and heard no more complaints.)

Orthonomics said...

Are you telling me that I wasn't the only one who got to speak with some of the Yeshiva Guys? (BTW-we just got in from "ir hakodesh").