Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Job Hunt Begins

I sent out six resumes after hours of searching online. Here's my observations so far:

- The junk postings ("work from home!") make some of the major sites useless.

- There were more than six jobs I could do. But they don't care if I can do the job, only if my resume shows the exact experience they need. It's the old paradox - how can I get the experience without the job opportunity? (This will be a topic for a future post!)

- Other jobs that I am qualified for don't pay anywhere near a livable salary. Some of these had descriptions a page long and required attention to detail, 5 years experience, etc. but wanted to pay this qualified person $10 an hour.

2 comments:

Orthonomics said...

Just saying hello and giving you your first post. Goodluck with your blog and hoping to hear positive news about your job hunt.

Fitter, Happier, More Productive said...

Your observations of the job market are spot on. Everyone wants an employee with all the experience in the world, flexible enough to do/learn tons more, quiet enough to take the verbal slashing that are handed out daily... and want it all for little money in the hands of the hard working, intelligent worker. It's just not fair, is it?